Saturday, July 19, 2008

Random thought: love, love, love

One of my friends broke up with her boyfriend several days ago. She told me that she felt guilty because she was the one who proposed that. Though they are still in love with each other, it is difficult for them to continue this relationship. The biggest problem for them is poor communication. It seems that they have no idea how to express precisely what they have in mind.

So here comes a question: should the first one proposing break-up feel guilty? Does effective communication really help relationship work?

Of course I feel sorry for her. I would never want to see my friends feel guilty, bad, or sad. However, why feeling guilty? We all know that sometimes love is not the only important thing in a relationship. And relying on love only can never help us stay in a relationship as long as we wish.

Fine, so love is not enough. How about communication? Does it help? To be honest, it helps a little, but not a lot. Communication is not only expressing yourself but also understanding what other people say. Unfortunately, when we say we want to communicate, we seem to be eager to express us first. We want to be understood. Understanding the other one? Well, maybe. But if couples fight again over the same question, it proves that communication never works out. Sounds negative, doesn’t it?

Fortunately, I am the person always looking at the bright side. Here is a very useful tip for me all the time: jump before your leap. Before deciding to stay in a relationship, make sure you have similar opinion about things. Of course, your might have very distinct personalities, but remember to see if you think in similar ways. If so, you can save time and have less difficulty communicating with each other.

You are the most welcome to leave your comment if you think there are some other things important besides similar thoughts. You can also try to convince me if you think love is the only important thing in a relationship. Thanks for your time!

2 comments:

Michael Turton said...

No. No guilt! They should feel empowered. They made the decision to move on and search for a more rewarding relationship.

That's my advice for today, please send me one (1) red envelope.

Michael

Ron Kirkpatrick-Kent said...

My wife, Hsiang-Yin or 'Alice', is Taiwanese. We have a one year old daughter, named Iris. I was looking online to see if there were any iris flowers native to Taiwan and found your blog-site. Just wanted to say I like your name. Was in your home city just once...beautiful place.

Take Care,

Ron